Braces have traditionally been the standard and fastest method for straightening teeth, and they remain the best choice in some cases. For many people, however, newer clear aligners offer an even faster way to get a perfect smile. If you’re hoping to straighten teeth relatively quickly, which of these two options is best for you depends largely on the complexity of your smile.
Braces Straighten Teeth in About 2 Years
The average braces treatment takes about two years to reach that perfect smile, although some courses can run a little shorter or longer depending on complexity.
During an initial consultation, an orthodontist can review your case and let you know whether the 2-year time frame is an accurate estimate for how long you’d wear braces.
Braces Remain Best for Complex Cases
If there are complexities involved with straightening your smile, braces will likely be the best course of treatment for you. Even though clear aligners are now another option, braces afford a level of precision that’s needed in complex cases to straighten teeth as quickly as possible. Clear aligners are a good choice in many other situations, but braces remain the most precise option.
Again, an orthodontist can help you determine whether your mouth presents any complexities that make braces the better choice.
Clear Aligners Straighten Teeth in 6 to 18 Months
For people who have a typical case, which is the majority of people who get their teeth straightened, clear aligners offer a faster way to straighten teeth. Clear aligners have been around for over two decades now, and they’ve become increasingly popular. They have a proven track record, and it’s easy to see why many people choose this option when they examine the benefits.
Assuming you’re a good candidate for clear aligners, Laster Perfect Smile clear aligners normally straighten smiles within 6 to 18 months. That’s a full half-year shorter than the average braces treatment even if you’re on the longer end of this range, and many people see their smiles straightened within a year of beginning treatment.
Clear Aligners Offer Additional Benefits
Along with being able to straighten teeth faster than braces, LPS clear aligners offer several additional benefits:
- Speed: As mentioned, clear aligners are a much faster way to straighten teeth if they’re suitable. You may attain your desired perfect smile in as little as 6 months, and most people complete treatment by 18 months at the longest.
- Comfort: Clear aligners are comfortable. They don’t have any metal brackets or wires that dig into your gums or poke your cheeks.
- Visibility: Clear aligners are much less noticeable than braces. They’re virtually invisible, and you don’t have a wire running along your teeth when wearing them.
- Removable: Because clear aligners aren’t attached to your teeth, they can be removed when you need to. The aligners get removed at mealtimes and when you snack, which means food doesn’t get stuck in them.
- Food: Since clear aligners aren’t in your mouth while eating, you’re more free to eat a variety of the foods you want. Unlike braces, popcorn, chips, caramels, nuts, and carrots are fair game.
- Care: Caring for clear aligners is easier than caring for braces. There isn’t a lot of food to brush away, and there aren’t any wires in your way of flossing. Simply remove the aligners, brush and floss your teeth, clean the aligners, and set them back into place.
To learn more about the benefits of clear aligners and see an in-depth breakdown of how they compare to traditional braces, check out Braces or Aligners for Perfect Teeth Alignment?
Are Clear Aligners Right for You?
If clear aligners are right for your smile, they can quickly give you straighter teeth and the treatment process is quite simple. To find out whether these or braces would be better for you, schedule a free consultation with Dr. Laster. An experienced orthodontist in Raleigh, Rolesville and Zebulon North Carolina who specializes in both braces and Invisalign clear aligners, Dr. Laster will be happy to explain each treatment option, answer any questions you have and help you decide which makes more sense for you.
At Laster Orthodontics, we help families develop healthy, life-changing smiles using customized treatments, cutting-edge technologies, and caring relationships. Our individualized treatment plans help our patients achieve their perfect smile in the quickest, most painless way possible by utilizing a wide range of options from traditional braces to propel accelerated treatment to Dr. Laster’s in-house aligner program, Laster Perfect Smile. With three locations throughout the Triangle Area, we create life-changing smiles every day.